- Forming strong relationships with key stakeholders to become a trusted advisor to protect the legal and commercial interests of the group.
- Providing clear, timely, commercial legal advice to identify and manage risks and highlight legal and regulatory opportunities.
- Identifying potential legal issues and formulating solutions to achieve the Group’s stated business objectives.
- Effectively managing external counsel in respect of costs and quality legal advice.
- Conducting/coordinating legal training for staff and Directors on relevant legal issues.
- Protecting the Group’s legal and commercial interests and guarding against potential legal disputes.
- Demonstrating a high degree of accountability and responsibility.
- Ensuring that the Group applies with all applicable legal and regulatory requirements, and monitoring anticipated developments in the law and regulation.
- Representing the Company in trade groups and in business community events as required.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent, with a minimum of 12 years of relevant legal experience in M&A, preferably in the (re)insurance industry.
- Solid understanding of the Companies Act and statutory regulations relating to the administration of companies in Bermuda, particularly as they relate to (re)insurance.
- A willingness to contribute ideas and assistance to other members of the management team in an evolving team structure.
- Demonstrated ability to influence and work effectively and cross-functionally within a highly-matrix organization with employees at all levels.
- Ability to work on one’s own initiative with minimum supervision, with the ability to meet or exceed deadlines, prioritize, multi-task, and maintain flexibility in a fast-paced and continually changing environment.
- Strong problem-solving skills and the ability to confront conflict and difficult issues in a professional, assertive and proactive manner.
- Outstanding interpersonal, written, verbal and presentation skills with ability to communicate to all levels of executive and Boards.