We are looking for a technical, focussed and driven individual who is interested in pursuing a career in the field of catastrophe modelling and reinsurance analytics. There will be two main aspects to the position: the first is working in close collaboration with the underwriting team, providing analytical input, sharing detailed knowledge of the strengths and weaknesses of the catastrophe models and advising on all aspects of the technical pricing associated with reinsurance contracts. This will also include helping to build the reinsurance portfolio and analysing the risk and return characteristics associated with it. The second aspect will be focussed on technical project work and systems development. This will involve developing and / or deploying programming skills together with a command of maths, statistics, probability and analytical techniques. The ability to critically evaluate data, distil it into key aspects and use that to make recommendations will be a key to success
The Analytics and Research Team comprises 12 people based in both Bermuda and London. There is a great mix of skills, including data analysis, actuarial, natural hazards knowledge, business intelligence and programming. Working together, we help ensure that the company derives the maximum amount of profit from a given level of exposure to risk. The team is highly motivated and committed to ensuring that all underwriting and portfolio management decisions are based on the best available science, information, systems and analysis. There is also strong collaboration across the broader group to leverage specialist knowledge and ensure that analyses are carried out in a coherent fashion throughout the organisation. Adding value through efficient, top class analytics is the team’s mantra.
Person Specification: This role is suitable for a technical individual with relevant prior experience in the insurance / reinsurance field. The successful candidate will possess many of the following skills / qualifications:
- University degree in Maths, Physics, Engineering, Environmental Sciences, Geology or similar. Post-graduate study in a technical discipline or with specific natural hazard knowledge would be desirable.
- Strong computing skills: advanced use of Excel and SQL, preferably together with experience of statistical applications (such as R; Matlab; IDL etc) or more advanced programming languages (such as VB.net or C). Systems development experience, as part of project team would be advantageous.
- Strong analytical and statistical skills in order manipulate large data sets, interpret results and distil large amounts of information into key findings
- A demonstrated logical, numerical and structured approach to problem solving, with a can-do attitude
- Strong communication skills and the ability to present complicated ideas clearly and concisely
- Ability to work efficiently under pressure, both on your own and as part of the team, delivering accurate results to strict deadlines
- Four years minimum experience in a catastrophe modelling / reinsurance analytics role.
- Good commercial awareness